Session 4 Notes – Stewardship and Service
Ephesians 5:15-16 (NASB)
“Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil.”
At the heart of a disciplined spiritual life is the disciplined use of time.
1 Corinthians 16:1-4
- Giving should be _______________.
- Giving should be ___________________, not sporadic.
- Giving should be a priority.
- Giving should be _____________________.
- Giving is a part of local church worship.
2 Corinthians 8–9
- Giving should be generous and _________________.
- Giving should be viewed as a privileged response to grace.
- Giving should be engaged in with eagerness.
- Giving is really about the ____________.
- Giving should be administered by the church (which should be above reproach in its handling).
- Giving should be _________________ in one’s heart.
- Giving should be done ______________________.
- Giving should be done with trust in God’s provision.
- Giving’s goal should be glory and thanks to God.
1 Timothy 5:3-8
- Giving starts with care for your own ________________. (See also 2 Thessalonians 3:6-13.)
- Service is worship.
- Service is often ________ ________ (see esp. v. 12).
1 Corinthians 12–14
- Service should be based upon spiritual gifts.
- Service should be ___________________ by love.
- Service is to be done for the good and growth of the whole church.
- In essence, no area of service or giftedness is more important than any other.
1 Peter 4:10-11
- Service is a stewardship of God’s grace.
- Every believer receives a spiritual gift; therefore, _____________ is to serve in some way (see also Hebrews 9:14).
- Service should be rendered as unto the Lord, not unto people.
- Service should make much of God and of Christ.
The following answers appear in order of the blanks in the notes above.