Part 3 – Our Strategy & Structure
First Baptist Church of Kearney was started on Christmas day in __________.
The church was first known as the Mount Olive Baptist Church and for a while worshipped in a new school building. The name of the church was changed to the First Baptist Church of Kearney in _____________. The first building was damaged by a tornado in June of 1900.
As Dan Spencer once said, “We can’t reach the internet generation with _________ ________ methods.”
As someone has said, “The only true failure is when we don’t ______.”
1 Corinthians 9:22
To the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
Serving with our S.H.A.P.E.
- Spiritual ___________.
1 Corinthians 14: 33, 40
For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints… …Let all things be done decently and in order.
I. The church is a _________________________.
- Acts 2:42
A top priority in a fellowship is ___________.
- Ephesians 4:3
- Romans 14:19
Any attitude of selfishness will cause disunity and disunity is_______.
Colossians 3:15; 1 Corinthians 1:10; 2 Timothy 2:14; Proverbs 17:14; 2 Corinthians 13:11; Philippians 1:27, 2:1-3; Colossians 2:2; Philippians 4:2; 1 Peter 3:8; 1 Corinthians 14:33; John 13: 34-35; 2 Timothy 2:23; Romans 15:5-6; Romans 12:16-18; Colossians 3:13-14; Psalms 133:1
II. The church is a Family.
- 1 Peter 3:8
- 1 Timothy 5: 1-2
Galatians 6:10, Hebrews 2:10-12, 1 Peter 4:17
III. The church is a ___________.
1 Corinthians 12:27; Ephesians 5:23; Ephesians 1:22-23; Colossians 1:18, 2:19
- Romans 12:4-6
- Ephesians 4:11-12
We are ___________-led, deacon-served, committee-operated, congregationally-_____________________.
IV. The church is a _____________.
- John 21:16
Three different terms are used in the New Testament to refer to the same church leaders:
- 1 Peter
What is the Southern Baptist Convention?
- Since its organization in ___________ in Augusta, Georgia, the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) has grown to about 16 million members who worship in about ___________ churches in the United States. Southern Baptists sponsor about 5,000 North American missionaries serving the United States, Canada, Guam and the Caribbean, as well as sponsoring more than 5,000 international missionaries in 153 nations of the world.
- The term “Southern Baptist Convention” refers to both the denomination and its annual meeting. Working through more than 1,200 local associations and some ______ state conventions and fellowships, Southern Baptists share a common bond of basic Biblical beliefs and a commitment to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the entire world.
- Since 1925, Southern Baptist have been partnering together to touch the world through Cooperative Program (CP) Missions. CP Missions unites all Southern Baptists together into a missions team fulfilling the Great Commission.
- We’re a missions-minded church in a missions-minded denomination. Our church contributes 9% of our undesignated receipts to the CP. We also budget for benevolence, our local association, support for Midwestern Seminary, the City Union Mission, the Missouri Baptist Children’s Home, Hosanna Institute, KC Rescue Mission, and lots of mission trips where we go to share Christ.
- Future missionaries, pastors, evangelists, and other church leaders are equipped through the work of the six SBC seminaries supported through CP Missions.
- CP Missions also supports the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, GuideStone Financial Resources, and the Southern Baptist Foundation.
Why not be an independent church?
⇒ Every SBC church chooses its own ____________.
⇒ Every SBC church owns its own buildings and assets.
⇒ Every SBC church determines its own programs.
What are the advantages of affiliating with the SBC?
- It allows us to identify with other Christians around the world who are known for their commitment to the Bible.
- It allows our church to participate in the largest __________________ organization in the world.